Due to great durability and aesthetic preciseness, metal roofing is now being preferred by many home owners. There are many roofing styles you can choose from, if you want to enhance the aesthetic properties in unique ways.
Here is a simple guide on how to install the metal roofing.
- Before you order to for the material, take the measurements precisely. The measurement of roof would involve measuring of sides and the angle of slope at each side. By that, you will find out the exact area where roofing has to be installed.
- Purchase materials from local hardware store. Materials include metal sheets, jigsaw, and nails, screws of different sizes and types, and drill. Make sure that color of metal sheets is making a match with the color of your outdoor walls.
- Organize work area to make the task easier. Get a large trash bin to discard any garbage or debris that would come as a result of cutting and shaping the items. Set up a scaffold or get ladders to reach the roof with convenience.
- Get rid of the old roofing. Although, you can install new roofing upon the old roofing, it’d be ideal to remove the old one in order to give new roofing the good foundation. Ensure that you are carefully and slowly uprooting every shingle from old roofing in order to avoid damage to foundation.
- With the old roofing removed, foundation might be a little damaged due to uprooting of nails. Repair that damage to make the foundation strong.
- There is a mighty chance that old insulation layer would be decayed. Therefore, you will need to install the new layer before you start with the roofing installation.
- Start by installation of edges. Edges are the metal strips that resemble metal flashings. Use 1 ¼ nails to properly attach metal strips on roof’s edges.
- Start installing the metal panels on widest and longest side of slope. Use washers and head screws to fix panels on roof’s foundation. Cut the excess of panels to cover the slop sides only. You can also use adhesive to settle the panels firmly. One side may contain more than one panel. Make sure that multiple panels are overlapping and the screws are fastened on overlapping area.
- To cover the joints of panels, use flashings. These flashings are similar to the edges that you would have installed before attaching panels. The flashing basically works as a cover over the points where panels from two sides intersect.
- Ensure that roof’s sides and edges are completely covered. You can also do a little finishing job to enhance aesthetic characteristics of your new roofing. Make sure that everything is settled and fastened properly.
All done. If you need professional help, you may check: http://yourlondonroofing.co.uk.