One of the most prominent pitfalls of surgery is the occurrence of swelling. Same is the case with Rhinoplasty. The level of swelling after Rhinoplasty may vary depending upon the intensity of surgery. There is the higher probability of swelling if Rhinoplasty surgery involves bone manipulation.
Pre-Surgery Precautions for Swelling Reduction
- If you are pondering about having Rhinoplasty, you can ask your surgeon first. You might be given a list of instructions that you will need to follow. These instructions are basically precautionary measures that will make you ready for the surgery.
- If you are on any kind of medication, you might need to change it at least two weeks before surgery. You may be advised alternate medication if you have any medical condition. It’s important to have thorough discussion with the doctor in this concern because you would really want to avoid any medical complication. Swelling would be the least intense issue as compared to other complexities.
- It would be important to discuss medication with your physician. It would help your doctor to understand the medical problems you might be facing.
- Over-the-counter (OTC) medicines are usually safer but not when you are required to undergo any kind of surgery. Thus, if you are about to go through Rhinoplasty Philadelphia, make sure to seize OTC medication 2 weeks before surgery. Nonetheless, you can ask the doctor about the medicines you can continue to use.
- Supplement intake should be stopped at least two weeks before surgery. Due to synthetic composition process involved in supplement preparation, the supplement usage close to the surgery dates may cause worsening in swelling. You can get a list of supplements that you would need to stop immediately.
- To keep your energy levels maintained, it is recommended that you consider the consumption of whole foods only. Especially high fiber foods can benefit you in lots of ways. The biggest advantage of high fiber foods is that these foods would help you in avoiding constipation. When you strain due to constipation, there is a big chance for surgery affected areas to start having bleeding.
- Stop consuming alcohol and smoking at least 3 weeks before surgery. These practices can be highly disastrous for your immune system.
Post-Surgery Swelling Reduction Tips
- Just because you are following every instruction exactly according to doctor’s advice doesn’t mean that you will not have swelling after surgery. Swelling is the natural process after surgery and it’s inevitable when one of the most sensitive body areas, like nose, has undergone bone manipulation process.
- For pain relief and swelling control, apply the cold compresses. Soft cloth should be used after its interaction with ice; however, make sure that you are not striking ice directly on the areas around swelling.
- After surgery, you would need to elevate your head all the time, especially when you sleep. This practice has to be continued until complete recovery from surgical wounds.
- The bandage may cause itching, specifically in the surgery affected area. It’s surely a big test but you would need to avoid even slightest of tempering if you want quicker recovery and lesser swelling.
- Post-surgery medication should be continued right according to doctor’s instructions.
- Strictly avoid applying pressure to nose for at least 2 weeks after surgery. Pressure can cause bleeding from injured area, raising the chances for serious infections to occur.