It is highly unlikely that you will need to think about the domain name when you are given the task of establishing or developing a blog or website. However, you might be asked about suggesting domain name in some situations; or you would definitely need to create a domain name when you have a task to develop your own business website.
Here are some tips that you can take into the account while deciding a domain name.
- When you search for domain names, the keyword that you use as search term usually belongs to the category of business or service. Picking any of the search results and adding suffixes or prefixes might get you your desired domain name. You may use domain name generator to get best possible options.
- Spinning, an already existing domain name to get a new one, definitely hurts the business campaign before even it starts. Therefore, it is recommended that you use the unique, unhyphenated and properly spelled domain name for your new website. A quite huge example here is that of Flickr.com which had to purchase Flicker.com in order to ensure online visibility.
- It is important for your online business to have a domain name that would be followed by a .com extension rather than .org, .info and so on. The mighty reason is that almost entire online community and users assume about any domain name to have a .com extension.
- If you want easier branding and greater online visibility, make sure that your domain name is easy to type. Creating a domain name that would require some trick while typing can make it less preferable among the users who will then start searching for other sources of information.
- If your website has a difficult and hard to remember name, you have probably lost major aspect of getting your website promoted in SERPs. A great website with hard-to-remember name would make it difficult for its readers to refer your website to their friends. Taking care of this short step would make your website to gain huge benefits.
- Make sure that your domain name has shortest possible length. This way, your website will be easy to type, easy to remember and easy to mention.
- After hearing your website’s name, people would expect the domain name to be relevant to the type of your website. Hence, you will need to create the domain name while focusing on creating relevance between domain name and the website’s type. If you are able to fulfill people’s expectations in this way, you are in fact persuading people to come again to your website.
- It has to be made sure that your website’s name isn’t violating the copyrights. Although it’s a rare issue but it is of devastating nature if it arises.
- Although, it is allowed for your domain name to contain hyphens and numbers but they can hurt your online campaign beyond your imagination. These domain names are not only difficult to type but they are also considered as spam source by most of the viewers.
Domain name creation is your one time chance to give your business the identity on the web. Make sure that you are using this chance to create what’s best for your interest on long term basis.