After making a decision about who would be the plastic surgeon for your Rhinoplasty, the next step for you is to make yourself ready for the surgery. Although, Rhinoplasty is a cosmetic surgical procedure but it can still cause medical complications if something goes wrong before and after otherwise a successful surgery.
- If you are on any kind of common meds or herbal supplements, it’s important to stop taking them at least two weeks before and after the surgery.
- Smoking can seriously halt the healing process. It is, therefore, recommended to quit smoking a few weeks before as well as post-surgery.
- During and after the surgical process, you will need applying a lip balm continuously; and you will also need to increase the fluid intake because not breathing from nose will make your mouth dry more often than not.
- A couple of days and nights after surgery are usually painful enough that could make you to need for support from someone among your relatives. Therefore, ask for this kind of assistance beforehand.
- If you want to avoid any kind of regret after surgery, make sure that there is complete understanding between you and your doctor.
- Do not hesitate to ask the doctor about postponing your surgery date if you are feeling nervous. You can also get rid of your fears by asking questions from surgeon.
- Since you will not be able to drive after surgery, hire transportation ahead of time.
What to do After Surgery
- To keep the swelling under control, it’s essential to elevate the head while sleeping.
- Any kind of impact on nose should be avoided as it can damage the nose’s structure.
- In order to ensure minimal liquid retention in the nasal tip, it’s imperative to have diet with low salt.
- Eat the foods that wouldn’t use much of the jaw force.
- After the surgery, avoid using glasses for at least four weeks. If your eye vision is weak and you are required to use the glasses, you can use tape to stick the glasses with forehead. Moreover, you can also use foam, as a cushion, between nose and glasses. It’s the caution that you will need to follow in order to avoid any damage to the nose while it is fragile after surgery.
- Avoid frequent exposure to sunlight after surgery. For that purpose, you can use a hat or sunscreen.
- Act upon the medical prescriptions strictly in order to keep the pain under control. It’s worth mentioning here that getting the pain under control could be very difficult once it would start intensifying.
- Get substantial amount of bed rest because sleeping can promote healing.
- Reduction in swelling can take reasonable amount of time. Nevertheless, it also depends upon your ability to heal. You should know that reduction in swelling can take weeks, months and even years. Nevertheless, the pain usually goes away in the first few weeks.
I hope you will find above-mentioned tips helpful. Although it is always recommended to see physician in case of serious complication. If you are in Minneapolis and looking for nose surgeon Minneapolis, you can do some research online by using local Rhinoplasty finder to see the best surgeon on your area.